4.6.10

A social call - Pelsday, 23rd of Famine, YND 744

Sir Dealann and Neroon walked up the steps to the orphanage and rang the bronze knocker on the oak doors. After a few moments, the door creaks open and a wimpled head pokes around the opening, at about the height of your navel. Big, elfin eyes look up at you. Seeing you are not servants come to the wrong entrance, the small figure steps out onto the landing. "Can I help your sirs?" she says, the depth of gnomish nun's voice betrays her age, and your realize that though small she must be well into her middle years.

Neroon steps forward "Dear sister, would you take us to his holiness, the Abbott? We would like to visit one of your charges, the child Gwilly." There is a slight hesitation before the nun answers, "Yes, of course. Follow me."

"Why the hesitation Sister? Is all not well?" asks Sir Dealann as you follow the small figure down the corridor.
"You really must talk to the Abbott," she replies "he'll be in his office." She ushers you into a sparsely furnished office, where you take seats on a long couch. There is large desk stack high with papers. An ink pot and several pens poke out from amongst the piles. Small windows high up in the walls let in air and light. After a moment or two, a small, balding man with spectacles  - who you take to be the Abbott - bustles into the room. He sits down and looks at you across the desk, peering out between the stacks of paper like he was looking through the crenel of a castle wall.

"hmmm... Gwilly. Of course." The Abbott pauses. "We sent to you at the Circle of Gawds, but you were away."
"What happened?" demands Sir Dealann.
"Yes, well. Things were very well for the first seven-day, Gwilly excelled at her lessons and made several friends amongst the other children. She had a wonderful impact on the whole orphanage, actually.
"But then the second week, Gwilly seemed bored and distracted. She was still kind to the children, but refused to do any lessons. She had an argument with one of the Sisters, and was sent to her cell for reflection. When we checked on her a few hours later, she was gone.
"You must understand that a child of Gwilly's particular nature is difficult to confine. We were not going to restrain the girl or bind her wings. We warned the Shields the child was missing, and asked that her description be sent to the surrounding towns, but that was 2 weeks gone and no word as yet. I suspect we won't hear from her unless, or until, she chooses to speak with us.
"Of course we will return the money you left in our charge for her care and dowry. Sister Agatha will give you a letter of requisition so you can retrieve the funds from the Parish of the Prolific Coin, who keeps charge of our financial matters.
"I wish I had better news - I'm sorry. The only consolation I can give you is that Gwilly is a remarkable child with powers and abilities that belie her years. I do not think she will come to harm unless she seeks it out. I suspect she has gone to the gnomish communities deep in the Fautee Woods - she would be most welcome there.
"If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them, but otherwise I must go about my day. Don't forget to speak with Sister Agatha on your way out."

No comments:

Post a Comment