Fireday dawned crisp, bright, & cheerful. Not many in the Falamora household marked its coming however, as most had already been up for hours preparing for today's supper. The night before, Sir Dealann, Neroon, Baram (the steward) rode to Sir Dealann's estate along with two professional servers and a minstrel hired for the occasion. By mid-afternoon, as is the custom, the guests began to arrive by carriage and horse. First to arrive are your former in-laws, Master & Mrs Soruukei. They are greeted by your Aunt Dortha, and both are pleased to be invited to a more aristocratic gathering then they usually attend, thanking her profusely and sipping their watered wine a little too often. Next came Sir Dealann's neighbours, Sir Hainur and his wife Lady Kivua on a pair of fine horses. Soon two carraiges arrive, disgorging a handful of Zoan potentates: Lantern Xookaer and his wife Mirena, Sir Taanaur Loolaika, Commander of the Children of Light in Zoa, accompanied by Torch Neira Falay of the Assembly (whose presence is a bit of mystery) and
Council Elder Falein, Master of the Army and the militia commander who rescued Sir Dealann as an infant. Last to arrive are Captain Bloodsword and his wife Mawoo, who came with their eldest daughter, Tirraka.
With everyone mingling in a friendly manner, Neroon seems a bit nervous in the presence of his church superiors. He avoids speaking to them directly until approached (more like cornered) by Lantern Xookaer.
"Surely you realize I am not to be feared, Neroon?" asks Lantern Xookaer "despite my brother's unfounded opinions, I am not of the same mind. I'm sure the misunderstanding you and he had is long past. You should contact your cousin Emmaere some time, I'm sure he would be pleased to here from you.
"Now I must reveal why Torch Falay travelled all this way - it was not just to impinge on Sir Dealann's hospitality. Sir Dealann - if I may interrupt your gathering for a moment?" Hearing no objection from his host, Lantern Xookaer beckons Torch Falay over and motions for Neroon to kneel. The elf woman glides over to Neroon and Lantern Xookaer. Conversation stops - everyone is looking at the three clerics, Neroon kneeling in the centre flanked by the burly, greying Lantern and the willowy yellow-haired Torch.
"Neroon, Spark of the Assembly" announces Torch Falay "you have shown much promise as a believer. Not only have you shown proper diligence in the following of the tenets of your faith, making observances and tithe, you have defeated the followers of the Harvester on two occasions and even built a shrine in a far land. Even as you have done these things in the name Neatuir, the Eternal Lantern, so has Neatuir chosen to act through you - at your hand and by the gawd's divine will 81 new followers swore themselves to our faith in our own city. For this miracle, we command you to put off your white novitiate robes and take up the yellow robes of a Flame of the Assembly, and I bestow upon you the gold chain of your new rank." Torch Falay slips the chain over Neroon's bowed head. Lantern Xookaer holds out his hand. "With your obeisance I confirm this promotion, and encourage you to continue in your faith with all of your heart" after Neroon kissed the proffered ring, Lantern Xookaer raises him to his feet. "A joyous occasion! Now if our host will allow it, then let us eat!"
At Sir Dealann's assent, couches are quickly put out in small groups for all the guests, and dinner is served. As the most prominent guest, Councillor Falein is seated next to Sir Dealann, along with Sir Taanaur, Sir Hainur, and Captain Bloodsword. The elf makes pleasant conversation, congraluting Dealann on the remarkable return of the Cup of Peace, and of the prestige he has brought to the Children of Light. He remarks to about how the estates in this region north of the city have grown in the time he has lived here - over 250 years, you find out. Falein is quite gregarious for an elf, but his humour is rougher than you might expect (He actually comes off as a bit of a boor), but for the company of country knights and a Captain of the Zoan navy Falein seems to fit right in. Towards the end of the evening, the councillor requests if Dealann might join him and Captain Bloodsword to partake in a bottle Ousoo brought from Falein's own estate. The three of you repair to a small sitting room off the foyer, with only Falein's servant in attendance.
"The return of the Cup has done me a great service, Sir Dealann. I am very pleased because it gives me an opportunity to pursue a grand alliance amongst the cities of Reanaaria. I have a councillor Werlen's ear in this and I can tell you he is greatly pleased as well.
"Your letter, however, has caused quite a stir in the Council. If there were to be a vote today I think it would not pass - expanding Zoan territory raises fears in many of a return to Tyranny and the days of our Empire. If Council were to endorse this officially, it may even incite the other cities to act against us.
"I think it is best to proceed more cautiously - it would be better if we delayed bringing this to the Council until we can gather more support, and perhaps present the Councillors with an established fact rather than an uncertain - and costly - endeavour."
Captain Bloodsword breaks in. "I was surprised when the Councillor talked to me about this, but my next patrol on the Erne's Beak will be South, and I have agreed to use my discretion to go off course and investigate the keep and harbour and make a report back to my superior, the Master of the Bay, as well as the esteemed Councillor. Further intelligence can only aid the situation, and if it as Dealann says perhaps we can obtain the agreement of the Navy to this scheme.
After a sip of Ousoo, Falein continues "I will also divert a small part of my funds" Falein continues "so that you, Dealann, may organize as a private citizen, a further exploration of these lands in order substantiate the claims that have been made. I believe councillor Werlen may do something similar, although I have yet to obtain his firm agreement."
"Dealann - consider carefully this suggestion, and perhaps solicit the opinions of your colleagues. If this can be done by private means then we need not concern ourselves too much with the opinion of the Council until much later, when the base is established and the utility of it can be made clear. You need not go yourselves, I will trust whomever you choose to send. Now, I think perhaps we should rejoin the party - don't you?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment